14.9.09

Idea Pitch

As the photo of my written pitch above shows, the narrative of my teaser involves a female character - the lead character - watching television, seeing on the news that someone has been kidnapped. She then very calmly and naturally proceeds to the kitchen to get a drink, before turning and confronting the man she has hostage - who was featured on the news.
      The first shot will be a mid-shot of a newsreader at a desk. The camera will then reverse-zoom away from the television which the newsreader is now on. I got this idea from my previous research into teaser trailers, where I saw the convention used in the teaser trailer for 'Resident Evil: Extinction', and decided to use it in my own production. The shot will then continue, and follow the actions of the female, as she moves into the kitchen to get a drink. This is a similar style to the teaser trailer for the video game 'WET', which I analysed previously, and includes a very fluid construction.
      The beginning of the teaser will have quite a slow pace, created using long shot lengths, each with very simple actions. This will then suddenly change into a fast pace, including lots of different shots and actions. This will also make use of Todorov's theory, beginning with equilibrium, where everything appears to be normal and average to the viewer, before the disequilibrium begins when the viewers see that the kidnapped male in the news is being held hostage by the female. Moreover, I will create an enigma from the teaser, by not resolving this mystery; just adding to it through dialogue and actions. I found this to be effective through my previous research into teaser trailers, where the teaser trailer for the video game 'The Secret World' used Todorov's theory in its construction, by beginning with equilibrium, and finished with an enigma and disequilibrium. It also ended with a website for viewers to visit for more information on the product. This was a very effective teaser trailer, and I decided to use the best conventions in my own production.
      I want the events and acting-style in the teaser trailer to be as realistic as possible, thus heightening the tension of production. The music I plan to create will add to this tension. I will also use a consistent style of red, white, and black colours for the female's clothes, and graphics within the teaser trailer. I noticed during my research that other female leads, such as Aeon Flux and Lara Croft also have their own unique and identifiable style through misé-en-scene. This will increase the strength of the character, and allow the character to be instantly recognisable.
      I have decided in my teaser trailer to include the institutions of the production, such as the production company, and the distributors. I will also include a website address for viewers to visit for more information on the film. This website could then contain more banners and advertisements to promote the film, and create 'hype'.
      Included in my teaser trailer are two main characters - a female and a male. After having studied Propp's character functions, I have decided that the female character will be the 'hero' of the overall production, and the male seen held hostage in the kitchen scene will be the 'helper' of the overall production. This will subverge the initial reactions towards the character, as the audience viewing the teaser trailer will assume that that character is the 'villain' of the production. The other male characters seen in the production could be the 'villian', 'donor', 'false hero', and 'princess' respectively.


COMMENT Beauchamps Media said:

Excellent planning Luke, you have worked hard and organised your production well, I'm glad it's now accessible for comments!

0 comments:

Post a Comment